Saturday, February 5, 2011

Recipe: Try My Tropical Spice Cake!

**Disclaimer:  This post has been compensated through a free product (s) or monetary payment.  Opinions are solely mine. All links are "no-follow" links.**

Tropical Spice Cake, sliced.jpeg
This is a moist cake that has lots of flavor.


Yesterday I was in the mood for spice cake.  You know the type you can eat plain with all those plump raisins and wonderful spices or with a little white confectioners sugar icing on top.  I was about to bake my usual favorite recipe when I remembered I still had a bag of Crunchy N Yummy pineapple left.  (Crunchy N Yummy makes freeze dried fruit in five flavors that one winner can still win in my current giveaways).  Anyway, I grabbed that bag and experimented.

Now this is an easy cake with no creaming of butter or margarine required.  I try to use canola oil in my baking as much as possible to avoid those trans fats.

The recipe I always used was very good, but I thought adding their Crunchy N Yummy pineapple made it extra moist.   I thought it was special so I wanted to share it with you.
               
 My Tropical Spice Cake!


1 cup raisins
Crunchy N Yummy.jpeg
Crunchy N Yummy freeze dried fruit is delicious.
4 cups of water
1 cup of canola oil
1 bag (1 oz. size) Crunchy N Yummy Freeze-Dried Pineapple
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoon of baking soda
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Boil the raisins in the water steadily for 10 minutes.  Add oil and let this cool.

Sift flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, and spices in your mixing bowl. 

Add the cooled ingredients, vanilla, and eggs.  Beat with your electric mixer until well mixed.

Grease two loaf pans for spice bars or a sheet cake pan about 15" x 10" x 2" (any sheet cake pan to accommodate four cups of flour will do.)  

Since I'm still baking in my large toaster oven until my kitchen get remodeled, (when I get enough money)  I decided to go with the two loaf pans.  They fit better in that oven at one time.  

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50-55 minutes for loaves until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Sheet cake baking time is less about 40 minutes.  

You can frost with your favorite white confectioners sugar icing or skip it.  Either way, this bar is scrumptious, tender, and really extra moist with that Crunchy N Yummy Freeze-Dried Pineapple thrown in!  I hope my pictures will convince you to try my cake.  You'll just gobble it up!


Tropical Spice Cake loaves.jpeg
You can this recipe and put one in the freezer.

Tropical Spice Cake, iced and sliced.jpeg
The icing adds even more yummy appeal.