Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Favorite Coconut Oatmeal Cookies Recipe Is a Way to Spread Happiness

eggs-and-cookie-baking-supplies.jpeg
Coconut, oatmeal and lots of love goes into this cookie recipe.


I couldn't let the weekend go by without baking.  However, I had a hard time deciding what exactly in the goodie line I was the mood to create.  Since I was torn between making a coconut cream pie or something with oatmeal, I combined those two wonderful flavors and settled on my favorite coconut oatmeal cookies recipe.

This is a delicious chewy cookie that you can sink your teeth into and savor with a coffee or even dunk in a glass of cold milk.  You can make it plain as given or fancy it up with some chopped nuts and raisins, if desired.   The recipe that I'm going to share with you makes a nice sized batch so even if the husband and the kids strike there will still be plenty of them left for you, the mere baker, to still enjoy.

So the next time you get an urge and can't decide what you want to bake, I hope you try these cookies. 

My Favorite Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup of shortening
1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of vanilla
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
2 cups of oatmeal (old-fashioned or quick)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup of chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Cream your shortening and sugars together. 

Add eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, and mix. 

Add flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda sifted together to the creamed mixture. 

Add coconut and oatmeal.  You might want to use your wooden spoon instead of the mixture at this stage to mix through.  Shape into small balls. 

Place your balls on a greased cookie sheet.  

Bake in a 375-degree oven for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown or when a small knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

ENJOY!