Saturday, July 28, 2012

Time to Splurge and Make My Easy Zucchini Pineapple Cake!


Today, I have another delicious way to use that crop of zucchini you might still be lucky to harvest from your garden.  I used to make this recipe quite often when I grew lots of zucchini.  Unfortunately, I gave up on growing most vegetables this year except for a few tomatoes and herbs due to all the wildlife in my backyard. 

Yesterday, I had a small army of wild turkeys checking out what was good eating to snack on.  I always heard their distinctive gobbling sounds, but I never saw those in the backyard until yesterday night.  My goodness, my guys were taller than the other varieties I have seen frequenting the area and quite huge, but slender.  Furthermore, these things are bold and unafraid of the human voice when you shoo them from above.  Oh well, I am getting off track when I want to share this excellent recipe to take advantage of zucchini.

My recipe makes an extra moist cake due to the crushed pineapple that is so yummy even without any icing.  More important, you will love how simple this recipe is to whip up when the urge for a goodie strikes.

I like to make this particular cake in two loaves pans and freeze one for another time.  However, you could also make it in a bundt cake or tube pan and pop it out or whatever works for you. 

Now I need to resort to store-bought zucchini for this recipe, but I still make it quite often because it is so very good.  I hope you get a chance to try my cake because I know you'll enjoy it.

My Easy Zucchini Pineapple Cake

3 large eggs
2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons of vanilla
1 cup of canola oil
2 cups of zucchini (peeled, grated, and drained)
3 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 cup of raisins
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 cup of chopped nuts
1 cup of crushed pineapple (drained)
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

Sift flour, soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon together in a mixing bowl. 

Beat the eggs until fluffy in another large mixing bowl. 

Combine the sifted ingredients slowly to the eggs and then stir in the vanilla, oil, zucchini, pineapple, raisins, and nuts.  Mix thoroughly.

Then turn out the batter into two greased loaf pans. 

Bake approximately one hour in a 325-degree oven or until a toothpick or slender knife inserted comes out clean.