Sunday, December 16, 2012

Make Your Holidays More Merry With My Decadent Tahitian Brownie Pie!

My Decadent Tahitian Brownie Pie.jpeg
My Decadent Tahitian Brownie Pie

Besides all those fancy varieties of cookies, a festive dessert to serve family and guests over the holidays is my Decadent Tahitian Brownie Pie.  This delight is a velvety chocolate pie with not quite a custard or a pudding texture that is infused with sweet cherry vanilla that will make your mouth water. 

I used Nielsen-Massey's Tahitian Pure Vanilla Extract, one of the five extracts from my review/giveaway yesterday so do enter after reading this.

When you take a look at my photo above, you might think this resembles more a pumpkin pie than the dark-brown of a chocolate one.  This is just outside deception because once you slice into it the dark-brown chocolate beauty awaits.

Also, I forgot that I made this recipe in the past in a smaller pie pan.  What you are seeing is the size of a 10" shell, which is the reason the filling looks thinner.

a piece of my Decadent Tahitian Brownie Pie.jpeg
This pie is sinfully delicious!

As always, I encourage you to try my no-fail oil pie crust recipe.  This is the only recipe that I use whenever I make pastry for pies, quiche, pot pies, and tarts because it is simply the best and easy.  Trust me when I promise you will make a flaky crust unlike riskier recipes with shortening that if you work the dough too much will result in hard crust.

Another thing I want to mention is to check the type of margarine you have on hand.  Whenever you bake, you need to have a margarine that specifically states it is a margarine and not a spread.  Spreads have more water in them and will spoil baking.  So if you blamed yourself for being a bad baker for something in the past if you happened to use a spread, it was not your fault.  You were a victim of spread.

We finished this pie already and the gang already demanded another.  If your family loves chocolate as much as mine, my bet is they would probably feel the same way so do try this one because it is a winner!

 
My Decadent Tahitian Brownie Pie

unbaked 9" pie shell
1 cup of evaporated milk
2/3 cup of sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup of a margarine (not spread) or butter
2 tablespoons of Nielsen-Massey Tahitian Pure Vanilla Extract
3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa


Beat the eggs and sugar together with your electric mixer until light. 

Cook the cocoa with one-fourth cup of the milk for several minutes to thicken slightly before slowly adding and beating to combine to the eggs and sugar in your mixing bowl.

Add your melted margarine or butter, the rest of the evaporated milk, and the vanilla.  Beat those ingredients together until everything is well mixed.

Pour the mixture into an unbaked 9" pie shell.

Bake in a 400-degree oven for ten minutes before reducing the temperature to 350-degrees for about 40 minutes.  Test with a toothpick to see anything sticks.

Cool thoroughly and top with whipped cream, if desired.   Plain is just as fabulous, but the whipped cream is a nice special touch for guests.

ENJOY!