Saturday, June 22, 2013

Recipe: My Chilled Lime Cloud Pie Will Cool You Off When Temperatures Soar!


Now that summer is finally here, I thought you might like to keep this delicious recipe for my Chilled Lime Cloud pie within reach.  This is a very unusual pie that has applesauce, lime gelatin, sugar, lime juice, and rind that are eventually combined with whipped, chilled evaporated milk to turn it into a light lime cloud texture when poured into your baked pie shell.

For a wonderful change of flavor, I suggest switching the lime and replacing with lemon gelatin, lemon juice and lemon rind.  Orange gelatin, orange juice, and orange rind makes a yummy orange version.

The most difficult thing about this recipe is remembering to take out your evaporated milk chilling in the freezer before it hardens.  Other than assembling and whipping that milk, this filling requires very little preparation.

You can stick this filling in a graham cracker crust or put in a regular baked pie shell.  I strongly recommend trying my no-fail oil pie crust recipe.  Readers, this is the best out there and always turns out flaky even for beginners.  It's also healthier than typical store-bought shells. 

I hope you try my pie and definitely give my oil pie crust a shot! 

My Chilled Lime Cloud Pie

2-1/2 cups of applesauce
1 cup of sugar
1 small package (3-oz.) of lime gelatin
2 tablespoons of lime juice
1/4 teaspoon of lime rind
1 can evaporated milk (13-oz.), chilled
1 baked 9-inch pie crust

Take your measured applesauce and heat in a saucepan. 

Stir in the gelatin next.

Add the sugar, lime juice and rind.

Whip the chilled evaporated milk with your electric mixer until thickened.  

Then fold into the heated applesauce-gelatin mixture.

Spoon into the baked shell and chill thoroughly before serving.

ENJOY!