Saturday, June 28, 2014

You’ll Crave My Creamy Caramel Pie Recipe Once You Dig in!

caramel-pie.jpeg
This pie tastes like liquid caramel candy in a creamy filling topped with a cloud of meringue.


When I didn’t share a recipe last week, I kept getting emails from disappointed readers so I do apologize. Therefore, I thought pie was in order. This is not just any pie, but something that tastes like liquid caramel candy only in a luscious, creamy form of pie that is crowned with fluffy meringue.  Served cold, my Creamy Caramel Pie will delight the family and guests.

As I always mention, I love good food but hate complicated recipes.  The hardest part of preparing this pie is cooking the filling.  I recommend trying my oil-pie crust because it is simple and foolproof even if you never baked a pie crust before.  

On the other hand, pie crust recipes that use shortening can be tricky. If you handle the dough too much, your crust can become tough and hard.  I have built my share of those. However, my oil-pie crust recipe turns out flaky every time regardless of what you do to it. This I promise you.

Here’s a tip that I want to pass along about separating eggs. Sometimes, you may forget leaving them at room temperature for a bit to improve your chances of separating them successfully.  When you’re rushed, try running them under hot water for a few seconds to warm the eggs up first. This helps separate them with greater success than fresh out of the refrigerator.


My Creamy Caramel Pie

1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/4 cup of melted margarine (not spread) or butter
3 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoons of flour
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
2-1/2 cups of evaporated milk
1 baked 9-inch pie shell
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Meringue Topping:

6 tablespoons of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3 large egg whites
½ vanilla extract



To Prepare the Caramel Filling:

Cook the brown sugar and your butter together in a heavy pot like a cast iron skillet until it caramelizes.

Mix the egg yolks, flour, and cornstarch and gradually stir in a little of the milk to it in a mixing bowl.

Add the rest of the milk and thoroughly mix.

Now pour the milk mixture slowly into the caramelized sugar-butter and continue cooking, stirring constantly until thickened.

Pour into your baked pie shell.


To Prepare the Meringue:

Take out your electric mixer and beat the salt with the egg whites until it becomes frothy.

Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.  If you add the sugar too quickly, the meringue will fall and become limp instead of stiffening up.

Be care to spread the meringue all over to the edges of your pie to seal the filling in. 

Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 8-10 minutes until slightly browned.

Chill before serving.

ENJOY!