Sunday, October 25, 2015

Check Out My First Experience Cooking on Induction With an Inexpensive Induction Burner I Just Bought at Aldi’s

My Induction Burner.jpeg
I paid just $39.99 for this 1800 watt Induction Burner at Aldi this week.

Induction cooking is something I have been wondering about for a while.  Currently, I use an electric stove and oven.  However, this form is supposed to work as fast as or faster than even gas and use much less energy.  Nonetheless, it is a pricey gamble when you think the price for the full size 30-inch induction range would be more than $1,500.00.  

Before making that investment without knowing how well it would perform, I thought it would be best to get a feel of how it cooked by buying an induction burner.  America’s Test Kitchen recommended if you get an induction burner it’s better to get one that allows up to 1800 watts.

I saw the advertising on TV for that NuWave induction burner that I was considering to test first before I found a special buy the other day at one of my favorite store’s Aldi’s with their Kitchen Living Portable Induction cooktop for only $39.99.  This cooktop gave me the 1800 watts, which is as high as you can go on a regular plug.  Any higher and you are talking about full range type electrical connections so I snagged one up while they were available.

This model is small but fits a sizeable 6.5 quart stock pot with ease.  So my first project just boiling water and making some pasta was easily done.  All I did was sort through my pots and I found a number of them that a magnet would stick to.  Some won’t work and that’s a factor you also need to think about the possibility that you also might need to buy new pots before cooking with induction.

I’m still tweaking this and need to figure out the right temperatures and/or power settings.  On my induction cooktop you can select either a power setting up to 1800 watts or a temperature.  In the past I just dialed my stove to preset the power setting.  Induction let’s you pick the temperature you like, which is certainly new for me!

Does anyone have some recipes or tips to share?  I would really appreciate all and any advice that you have to share with me.