Thursday, February 25, 2016

Review: Mantry Subscription Box for January 2016

**Disclaimer:  This post has been compensated through a free product (s) or monetary payment.  Opinions are solely mine. All links are "no-follow" links.**
Mantry Subscription Box for January 2016 in crate.jpeg
This is the Mantry Box for January 2016 in its wooden crate.

The element of surprise is one of the reasons that I so love diving into a well-curated subscription box because half the fun is never knowing what I may find.  I had a chance to review a new gourmet food subscription called Mantry that I think that you’re going to like. Though this box is geared to the modern man’s pantry, I can tell you now that women can love them too, if this assortment is a representation of what you can expect.


If you’ve not heard of Mantry yet, you get six artisan food items in a wooden crate.   Each monthly box is delightfully centered around a particular theme.  This January 2016 Mantry box that arrived happens to be Bacon Brunch with products to make a hearty breakfast. Now that I made you hungry, I won’t keep you in suspense any longer.  Check out what gourmet foods were in my Bacon Brunch below.


Mantry Subscription Box for January 2016 out of the crate.jpeg
Here's the January 2016 Bacon Brunch products  from the Mantry Box in full view.

Mantry Box for January 2016

1.  Broadbent’s Maplewood Smoked Bacon (14 oz.)----------------------------------$8.25

2.  Sosu Sauces Srirachup (9 oz.)-----------------------------------------------------------$7.00

3.  Marlo’s Bakeshop Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Biscotti (5 oz.)------------------------$4.99

4.  Farm to Table Foods Organic Apple Raisin Oatmeal (16 oz.)--------------------$8.50

5.  Hickoryworks Pure Brown Country Sharkbark Hickory Syrup (8 oz.)----------$20.00

6.  Chuao Chocolatier Baconluxious Chocolate Bar (2.8 oz.)-------------------------$6.00


The Broadbent Maplewood Smoked Bacon was a real treat from the last time I bought turkey bacon when I cooked some with our scrambled eggs.  You really can taste how that smokey process seems to get through to the meat.  I also plan on using some to make a warming creamy chowder soon now that the snow is on the way.

I never tasted a srirachup before, but I now am a fan.  Sosu Sauces Srirachup packed a lot more spicy, hot flavor than typical ketchup.  I used some on my scrambled eggs and my fish sandwich so far and loved it.  

The Marlo’s Bakeshop Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Biscotti was a great pumpkin-spiced and chocolate-chip dunking cookie with plenty of a chew to them and lasting power. 

The Farm to Table Foods Organic Apple Raisin Oatmeal was a big hit at our house.  I cook oatmeal (not in one of those microwave packets) nearly every day for breakfast, but never tried this organic brand that has rye, wheat, spelt, barley and flax in addition to the oats.  This cooked cereal also has just a little apples and raisins, but the other grains seem to dominate.  Nonetheless, it was still very good and possessed a different flavor than regular old-fashioned or quick oats.  

The Hickoryworks Pure Brown Country Sharkbark Hickory Syrup surprised me.  I assumed it would taste like a pure maple syrup, but how wrong I was.  The two-person operated company uses a recipe that is hundreds of years old.  Instead of making the syrup from the tree sap, Hickoryworks uses the bark of the shagbark tree to produce the most exotic syrup that I’ve ever tasted.  It has sweetness, but it has so much more complexity to it with somewhat of a nutty, smoky flavor that is incredibly good on my homemade waffles.

The idea of bacon and chocolate together like the Chuao Chocolatier Baconluxious Chocolate Bar didn’t appeal to me to be honest. Yet, I had to be fair and give it a taste before I had any right to judge.  Of all the crazy things, I discovered that the pairing was really tasty of sweet with an underlying bit of saltiness with texture.

The cost to subscribe for a monthly Mantry box usually is $75.  However, they are running a sale and you can subscribe for $59 now.  Do check out this gourmet food subscription box because it was a fabulous find. The price was well worth discovering these unknown artisan foods.