Saturday, February 12, 2011

Try a Healthier Baked Treat--My Favorite Oatmeal Scones Recipe!

heart-healthy-oatmeal-scones.jpeg
Heart healthy oatmeal scones

Do you crave sweets most days but hate all those extra calories?  Then you just might like something in between a bread and a cookie like my oatmeal scones.  This recipe has everything I'm nuts over.  It's easy to whip up, a healthier alternative to other more fattening cookies or cakes, keeps well, and most of all--satisfies the sweet tooth when that craving for a goodie takes over!


My Favorite Oatmeal Scones!


2 cups old-fashioned oats
2-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg  or 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg



Heat your oven to 400-degrees.  Mix everything with an electric mixer and then you can drop batter by the tablespoon or with a small ice cream scoop onto your greased baking sheet.  If you want more uniform shapes like I've shown, I pat my hands with a little flour so not to stick and roll into a small ball in the palm of my hand.   You can get 12 big scones.  Bake approximately 15 minutes or until lightly browned.