Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Here's a Tasty Solution for Sour Milk--My Moist Chocolate Cake With Mocha-Fudge Icing! 


A Piece of my Sour Milk Chocolate Cake with Mocha-Fudge Icing.jpeg
Here is a piece of my Sour Milk Chocolate Cake with Mocha-Fudge Icing!
I discovered my milk soured this morning.  Instead of throwing it out, I like to avoid waste and make something like this delicious chocolate cake.  Though I like to save my cake baking on Fridays to prepare for the weekend, sour milk waits for no one!  So here is a great moist sheet cake without eggs to try topped with my Mocha-Fudge Icing for the next time your milk goes bad or you just want something incredibly easy and bursting with chocolate goodness.

If you have more than two cups of sour milk, you can double the recipe below.  This is what I did and got three small sheet cakes.  The largest was a 15" x 10" x 2" cake for one recipe.  I had two smaller little pans I used for the second batch.

Another idea is to pour this recipe into loaves pans and freeze some plain  without icing for later. 

I topped my three little cakes with one recipe of the Mocha-Fudge Icing.  This worked out wonderfully since I had extra to share with the friends we invited over.

When your cake or cakes are cool, then frost with this fabulous icing.  This is made with coffee instead of milk.  You'll love how creamy this icing is with just a few ingredients.

My Sour Milk Chocolate Cake

2 cups of sour milk
2/3 cup of canola oilS
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
2 cups of sugar
3 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt

Mix your baking soda into sour milk first.  Then sift flour, sugar, salt, cocoa into your mixing bowl.  Pour in your canola oil, vanilla and mixed milk and soda.  I like to use my electric mixture, but you can also beat this by hand if you want to get a little workout in the process.  Beat everything until smooth.

Pour into your greased 15" x 10" x 2" pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


My Mocha-Fudge Icing

1/3 cup of margarine (it cannot be labeled spread)
2 cups of confectioners sugar
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
6-8 tablespoons of strong brewed coffee (cooled)

Beat this up with an electric mixer until creamy and a nice fluffy spreading texture for your cooled cake or cakes.  This makes enough to spread thinly on three little cakes.