Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth With My Coconut Scones!

Today, I made something fantastic.  Dear readers, if only we didn't live so far apart, I would invite all of you over to enjoy them with me because I know once you had tasted them you would also love them just as much.  

I had some Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate and decided to play with one of my scone recipes.  The result was a tasty masterpiece bursting with coconut flavor and more like a cookie than a small sweet bread only minus all the extra sugar and grease.

Unlike their Virgin Coconut Oil, the Coconut Cream Concentrate is a food and not an oil.  However, I substituted this in my recipe for the margarine requirement and only used two tablespoons of the margarine in my recipe.  I was delighted when I took these out of my oven and then more so when I tasted one!

Do remember when using a margarine in your baking to check  whether it is a spread or margarine.  Spreads never work because of their high water content.  Only a margarine will turn out for baking.

Earlier, I shared another delicious scone recipe and another version with oatmeal.  Honestly, if you are hungry for something good but are trying to watch your calories, then scones are ideal.  All three of these recipes are fantastic and great for keeping you satisfied as far as goodies are concerned!



My Coconut Scones


1/3 cup of Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate
2 tablespoons of margarine (not spread)
2-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 -1/4 cup of raisins
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
6 tablespoons of milk
1 and 3/4 cup of sifted flour


Work your margarine, coconut cream concentrate, baking powder, salt, sugar, and flour like you do for a pie, rubbing together to combine into small balls.  Stir in your beaten egg, milk, and finally raisins.  Try not to handle the dough too long.  Pat or roll out on floured surface and cut into small squares and triangles.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes until done.