Saturday, April 28, 2012

Celebrate the Weekend With My Easy Oatmeal Snack Cake!


The weekend always is the time for fun and treating yourself and the family to something delicious after a week of working hard and watching your diet.  I say what can be better than a quick snack cake that is simple to mix up and does not need icing? 

Oatmeal in this cake gives a bit of protein and almost a nutty sort flavor while bringing a moistness to this recipe to make it a great keeper and one that will also freeze well.  Although, if truth is known, I doubt that this cake will last that long since it is that yummy and hard to resist.

Another thing you can do with my recipe is rotating the spices for a few different varieties of this one cake.   Besides the suggestions below, I  have added one half a teaspoon of vanilla and substituted one half teaspoon of almond extract  or anise extract and with one teaspoon nutmeg instead of any cinnamon makes a scrumptious combination.  

One last warning that I have is in regard to the margarine.  Make sure that you do not attempt to bake with anything labeled spread instead of margarine.  A spread has too much water content and will ruin your baking so do check your margarine. I do hope when the mood strikes for your own weekend indulgence that you will make my recipe. 

Now that the coffee is nearly ready, I think I will say good-bye and sneak a piece of this cbefore the family attacks and will force me to build a new one.

My Easy Oatmeal Snack Cake

1 cup of quick oats
1-1/2 cups of boiling water
1 stick of margarine or 1/2 cup  (not spread)
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon or 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1-1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

First:  Pour 1-1/2 cups of boiling water over 1 cup of quick oats and put this aside for about 20 minutes.

Cream together and add to the oatmeal mixture the margarine, sugars, and eggs (one at a time), and vanilla.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.

Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13-inch pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.