Saturday, March 1, 2014

Recipe: Significant Snow Is Coming So It's an Ideal Time to Try My Easy Applesauce-Custard Pie!

Today, I have one of the simplest and most incredibly delicious pies that you can ever make. Even if you never baked a pie before, this recipe for my Applesauce-Custard Pie is foolproof especially if you use my oil pie crust! This pie has applesauce kicking up the flavor scale with cinnamon and cloves in an egg base evaporated milk custard for extra velvety creaminess.

Here's something else that you will like to cut down on washing more measuring cups. Don't throw your emptied evaporated milk can away because it is a convenient measure for the water this recipe also needs.

Of course, you can use a frozen pastry shell that you buy. However, I doubt you will want to again once you see how easy and flaky my oil pie crust turns out. You will save money and your health by using oil instead of artery-clogging shortening.

You will be pouring this filling into a raw pastry shell and then baking.  The hardest part of this recipe is the waiting for this scrumptious pie to bake! Trust me, but you know what I mean as the aroma of the applesauce and spices escape from your oven.

My Applesauce-Custard Pie

2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup of sugar
1/2 can of evaporated milk (the 12-oz. size can)
12 oz. of water (use the evaporated milk can to measure)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla
12 oz. of apple sauce

Make or unthaw your favorite pie crust and place it in your greased pie pan.

Pour in your filling mixture and then bake in a 325-degree oven for about 1-1/2 hours, depending on how your oven is regulated.

Test with a slender knife to see if anything sticks to see if it is done.


ENJOY!