Sunday, August 2, 2015

Recipe: For a Delicious Change of Pace Try My Sensational Apple-Custard Pie!


A Piece of my Apple-Custard Pie.jpeg
With this recipe, you get to enjoy two sensational pies in one--custard pie and traditional apple pie!  This is a win, win, win, don't  you agree?


When I used to have my apple tree, I made so many wonderful cakes, pies, cookies, etc. because I was never one to let such goodness go to waste when possible.  My Apple-Custard Pie recipe that I want to share with you is something a little different.  Instead of all fruit of a traditional fruit-packed apple pie, my recipe combines a sweet, rich custard that is lightly spiced with diced apples.  The result is delectable!

Besides how delicious this pie is, it is also so simple to make.  The hardest part is peeling the apples since you’re basically mixing the ingredients together once you partially cook the chopped apple first in the microwave to soften before adding to your unbaked pie shell.  

For your pie crust, I do hope that you try my oil-pie crust recipe because it honestly is foolproof even if you never made pie dough before.  In fact, this is the ONLY pie crust recipe that you will ever see me share with you because it is the BEST when it comes to ease and tender, flaky crust.   

One other thing that I want to mention is this recipe can be adapted for whatever variety of apple that you have on hand.  Though tart apples are what I used to use, you can also use a sweeter apple because I tried this with delicious apples that were starting to shrivel up in my refrigerator just by adjusting the sugar and reducing it by about one-fourth cup.
  
Try my recipe sometimes because I think that you will enjoy it.


My Apple-Custard Pie

unbaked 9" pie crust 
4 medium tart apples, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
2 cups of evaporated milk 
2 large eggs
3/4 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of flour


After your apples are peeled and diced, cook to soften them in your microwave on high for about five minutes.  Set aside.

Prepare your favorite pie crust and press the dough into a nine-inch, greased pie pan.

Add the milk, sugar, spices, vanilla, eggs, flour, salt, and apples into a mixing bowl and combine.

Pour into your waiting, unbaked crust and bake in a 400-degree oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350-degrees and continue baking for about 20-30 minutes, depending on how your oven is regulated.

Test to see if it is done by inserting a toothpick or a slender knife to see if anything sticks.

Cool and then refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

ENJOY!