Saturday, February 20, 2016

Recipe: My Lemon-Lime Cream Pie Can Make Any Day That Much Better!

A piece of my Lemon-Lime Cream Pie.jpeg
Here is a piece of my yummy Lemon-Lime Cream Pie.

Today, I have a really scrumptious pie to tickle your palate.  My Lemon-Lime Cream Pie recipe is a beautiful marriage of a fruity lemon or lime meringue pie boosted to super flavor from its clear citrus filling made that much better in a creamy, velvety pudding like texture along with plenty of grated coconut flakes for extra delicious impact.   

This is another very simple recipe that involves prebaking your pie shell first before cooking up the pie filling. After that, you just wait for it to cool before storing in your refrigerator until it is thoroughly chilled.

I hope that by now you have decided to try my foolproof, oil pie crust recipe.  Another great thing about this recipe is that you can stretch it thin to get one larger pie or two smaller ones.  Of course, your edges won’t be as pretty as would be for one since you have less dough to work with, but you will eat less crust!  You could get one ten-inch pie shell or two smaller shells from just one recipe of my oil pie crust.  

You will need to squeeze some fresh lemon and limes and zest.  I used one larger lemon and three smaller limes that once squeezed into juice produced two-thirds cups of liquid.  Be sure to strain because you don’t want that sour pulp in that luscious filling to spoil it.

If you want a deliciously different take on lemon or lime meringue pie,  I can’t wait for you to try this one.  It really is just too yummy to keep to myself.  


My Uncut Lemon-Lime Cream Pie.jpeg
This is just one of the TWO smaller Lemon-Lime Cream Pies that I made using one recipe of my oil pie crust.  The edges are not as pretty because I stretched the dough thin.  Make one recipe for better looking crust.


My Lemon-Lime Cream Pie

5 large eggs, separated
1-1/2 cups of sugar
1-3/4 cups of cold water
1/3 cup of cornstarch
2 heaping tablespoons of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2/3 cup of juice from lemon and limes (one lemon and about three limes squeezed fresh)
3 tablespoons of butter
1 can (12-oz.) of evaporated milk + water enough to measure 2/1/2 cups of liquid
½ cup of regular milk
2 teaspoons of grated lemon-lime zest
one recipe of my oil pie crust or crust for a 10-inch pie


Make a recipe of my oil pie crust or use your favorite crust and prebake the shell, which you will prong with your fork first along the sides and bottom before it hits the oven. You want to do this step to save it from shrinking.  

Bake the shell in a 400-degree oven for about 5-7 minutes until it lightly browns.  Remove from the oven.

Set the shell or shells aside and start the filling.

Separate the eggs and reserve the yolks in your pot for the filling.  Mix the cornstarch and flour in your cold water until smooth followed by the milk, juice, salt, sugar, and coconut.  Cook this mixture until it begins to bubble and thicken.

Take it off of the heat and stir in the butter and grated lemon-lime zest.

Pour into your finished shell or shells and allow to cool before refrigerating.  

Top each piece with just a dollop of whipped cream before you serve.

ENJOY!