Saturday, June 25, 2016

Recipe: My Delicious Mediterranean Tuna-Bean Salad is Another Ideal Light, Make-Ahead Summer Meal!


 Mediterranean Tuna-Bean Salad.jpeg
My Mediterranean Tuna-Bean Salad is no-work, delicious, cool when it's hot, and can free up a summer day!


Instead of being cooped up in your kitchen around a hot stove cooking, I have a wonderful light meal that you can use also as a side dish that is perfect to make ahead and enjoy later with fresh vegetables. Another nice thing about my recipe is that it is perfect to take with you for a lunch at work. 

My Mediterranean Tuna-Bean Salad is easy, protein packed with hardly any fat while being absolutely delicious and bursting with flavor from sweet Vidalia onions, oregano, a little garlic, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar flattering tuna and white beans.  


You can use canned Great Northern or your favorite white beans or start with dry beans, soak them the night before, and cook them up the next morning.  I do it both ways, depending if I forget to soak the beans the night before.

What I do sometimes is to cook half of a two-pound bag.  I reserve a few cups for the recipe, like this salad and keep the remainder in the refrigerator to incorporate into other dishes that I may cook through the week.

Here’s a trick if you do use dry beans.  Sort them first in a frying pan lid or another big pot lid to check for small stones before storing them saves time instead of doing this chore at the last minute.  In fact, I always sort an entire bag at a time and transfer them to emptied, 40-oz. size plastic jars that once held peanut butter to keep in my pantry.  

If you later find that your salad needs more lubrication once you are ready to serve it, add another tablespoon of the red wine vinegar.  You may or may not need to do that.  This just depends on what variety of white beans that you use or the form of those.

I do hope that you will want to try my recipe. It really can save your figure without tasting low-calorie and is so simple to prepare.  What a great combination I say!


My Mediterranean Tuna-Bean Salad


2 cans (15.8 oz.-16 oz.) Great Northern beans
2 cans of tuna (5-oz.)
1 Vidalia sweet onion, (medium)
½ teaspoon of dried oregano
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder (not garlic salt)
½ teaspoon of black pepper
3/4 teaspoon of salt


All you do is rinse and drain your beans before adding to your mixing bowl.

Clean and chop your sweet onion, then also add to your mixing bowl.

Add the remaining ingredients of olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and combine with the beans and onions.

Pour into a covered glass dish and refrigerate until ready to serve.

ENJOY!