Saturday, August 20, 2016

Recipe: Treat Yourself to My Decadent Lemon-Blueberry Coconut Meringue Pie!


piece of Decadent Lemon-Blueberry Coconut Meringue Pie.jpeg
My Decadent Lemon-Blueberry Coconut Meringue Pie is a delicious marriage of flavors!



Though I am trying to stay away from sugar and have been good for so many weeks, I was craving something sinfully sweet.  Yet, not just anything would do.  What I wanted was creamy, but different.  The recipe that I have for you today has the luscious goodness of fresh lemons along with the added flavors of summer’s bounty of fresh blueberries and tropical coconut flakes for a sensational twist to a traditional lemon pie before being topped with a cloud of meringue. 

I’m not going to fool you, but you will need to do some squeezing, cook up the filling, beat your meringue as well as prepare the pastry shell.  As you probably know if you’re a regular reader, I use only my oil pie crust recipe because it is foolproof.  Try it and you’ll soon understand why.

Of course, you can use reconstituted lemon juice instead of the fresh and my pie will work.  However, I got to warn you that you will be missing out on heightened lemon flavor that only the fresh delivers.  

By the way, here is a trick when using fresh lemons for getting the most juice.  Clean and stab a few and then stick them on a microwave-safe plate for about 30 seconds on reheat in your microwave.  You’ll be surprised at all the extra juice that you get compared to just squeezing them with this method.

I hope that you print my recipe and give it a taste test at your house because we honestly love it here.

My Decadent Lemon-Blue Coconut Meringue Pie (one oil pie crust recipe or a 10-inch baked pie shell)

whole Decadent Lemon-Blueberry Coconut Meringue Pie.jpeg
My Decadent Lemon-Blueberry Coconut Meringue Pie, uncut.


Filling:

2 cups of sugar
½ cup of cornstarch
1 cup of fresh blueberries
2/3 cup of grated coconut
2/3 cup of fresh lemon juice
2 cups of water
4 large eggs yolks
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract


Meringue:

4 egg whites
1/3 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla


To Prepare the Filling:


Leave your eggs out at room temperature before attempting to separate them for the best chance of success.  You can also run them under some warm water if you want to rush it.  

After the eggs are separated, place the yolks and the filling ingredients in a pot and cook until the mixture thickens.

Pour into your baked shell and set aside.  (If you’re using my oil pie crust or making another, don’t forget to get your fork and prong the crust before baking at 400-degrees for about 10 minutes or so.  This prevents shrinking).


To Prepare the Meringue:

Take out your electric mixer and beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks forms.  Only then, you can start adding small amounts of the sugar, beating as you go.  If you add all the sugar at once, your meringue will fall flat.  

After all the sugar is incorporated, add your vanilla and top over your waiting filled pie.

Return the meringue topped pie to your oven and bake at 400-degrees for about 10 minutes or until you it starts becoming golden-brown.

ENJOY!