Sunday, October 16, 2016

Recipe: My Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Drop Cookies Are Easy, Delicious and a Great Way to Use Overly Ripe Bananas!

 Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Drop Cookie.jpeg
You won't believe how simple and yet delicious my Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Drop Cookies are!


We love bananas at our house.  Sometimes though, we don’t eat them fast enough.  However, I try never to waste anything and that includes food if I can help it.  The wonderful recipe that I’m about to share with you is another one that I like to make for those times when I want to salvage bananas.  


My Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Drop Cookies are soft textured and delicately spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and fresh lemon juice in the batter.  To further play off the spices while adding a new element to the texture, I found a hefty portion of coconut flakes makes the taste of this recipe even more amazing.

As you know if you’re a regular reader, I avoid laboring needlessly in the kitchen when there is a better way to get tasty results like with these cookies.  They require just a minimum of effort because no creaming is required since I use oil instead of shortening, butter or margarine.  I did use my electric mixer to mash bananas and mix the ingredients together, but you can do the same thing with a fork and wooden spoon, if you desire.  

The next time that you’re faced with what to do with blackening bananas, I hope that you will want to give my recipe a try.  Honestly, I think that you’ll really like it and want to make it more often once you do.

My Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Drop Cookies

3/4 cup of canola oil
1 cup of sugar
juice of 1 fresh lemon (2 teaspoons)
1 large egg
1 medium ripe banana
1-3/4 cups of flour
1-1/2 cups of quick-cooking oats
½ cup of coconut flakes
3/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon of baking soda, leveled
1 teaspoon of salt

Mix the oil, sugar, lemon juice, and egg together with your electric mixer or wooden spoon until incorporated in your mixing bowl.

Add your mashed banana next and mix through.

Sift together your flour, baking soda, and salt.  Once you finish, add slowly into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix in before adding the oats, coconut flakes, spices and combining.

Drop by teaspoons onto greased cookie sheets.  Leave some space between each cookie (about two inches apart) because these do grow.  

Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 12-15 minutes, depending on how your oven is regulated.  Test doneness with your toothpick.

Once you take them out of the oven, allow the cookies to cool for about five minutes to harden them up a bit before attempting to remove them. 

ENJOY!