Sunday, November 26, 2017

Recipe: My Special Filled Yellow Layer Cake Is Wonderful to Serve Holiday Guests

yellow-cake.jpeg
Here is my delicious filled yellow cake made from plain, all-purpose flour.



Besides pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, I also made a layer cake since some of my guests don’t care for pumpkin.  This is another delicious yellow cake that uses all-purpose flour, but is fine-textured and stays quite moist with a pound cake like taste.  Inside, I added a cooked cream vanilla filling before frosting with a vanilla butter cream icing, sprinkled with shredded coconut flakes.

My recipe may seem more work than usual, but I assure you that it is well worth it.  The cake is easy.  It involves just your basic creaming of butter and sugar before alternating with your dry ingredients and milk.  


yellow-filled-cake-cut.jpeg
This cake has a tendency to disappear quickly.

What takes up more time is making the filling besides the icing.  However, you can always cheat by buying a ready-made icing to shorten this process, if you prefer to do so.  I just always like to make my own since it is more economical and I know the exact ingredients that we’re eating.


piece-of-yellow-filled-cake.jpeg
I used shredded coconut flakes in my icing.  What else is delicious adding some chopped nuts as well.  


I hope that when you’re in the mood to bake that you’ll give my recipe a try because it does go over very well.  


My Special Filled Yellow Layer Cake


3 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of baking powder, leveled
1-1/2 cups of milk
½ cups or one stick of butter, softened 
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Vanilla Custard Filling:

1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch 
1-1/2 cups of milk
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract


To Prepare the Cake:

Cream the softened butter that you left out for a while at room temperature with the sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time to incorporate.

Add the sifted dry ingredients next, beating in a little while alternating with the milk and vanilla until all the ingredients are combined.

Grease and line with wax paper two 9-inch cake pans before pouring the batter into both of them.

Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, depending on how your oven is regulated or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.

Allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before attempting to remove.


To Prepare the Filling:


Separate the eggs and put the yolks in your pot.  If just take the eggs out of the refrigerator and attempt to separate, this is a bad idea.  To speed up the process, I run them under some warm water first or leave out at room temperature.  

Now mix your cornstarch with the cold milk to make a creamy mixture.  

Add this milk mixture and sugar to the waiting yolks and begin cooking on medium heat until it bubbles and thickens.  Make sure to stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn.

Take off of the heat and add the vanilla.

Allow this cool before filling and icing with your favorite butter cream icing.  

ENJOY!